Special Invitation to Participate in Senate’s Art Collection Selection Process
Dear PAC Artist Registry Members and Friends:
Peninsula Arts Council is one of several arts organizations chosen to assist Senator Jerry Hill in selecting one local artist to be featured in the Senate’s Art Collection in Sacramento. The selected work from his district will hang alongside pieces from across California in the Senate’s gallery and appear in the exhibit catalogue for the next 18 months (until September 2014).
Peninsula Arts Council would like to give our Artist Registry members and supporters the benefit of first opportunity to participate. Here is the brief overview:
• Artist must reside in the 13th Senate District (from Brisbane to Sunnyvale)
• Any type of original art is acceptable (oil paintings, works on paper, weavings, wall hangings, and sculptures are all acceptable media)
• Overall size must be limited to no larger than 3’ by 5’
• No posters or prints – only original pieces
• Exhibit schedule is planned from April 2013 to September 2014
• Senate will pay for shipping costs to and from the exhibit (not packing materials)
• Each artist will receive written acknowledgement of the terms of the loan, a letter of recognition and commendation from the Senate and a copy of the exhibit catalogue
Peninsula Arts Council invites all interested participants to submit their artwork. A number of excellent entries have already been received. Because there has been some difficulty with the Dropbox link and procedures, however, we are simplifying the submission process. Please create your own file folder and include the following information:
1) Color image of your artwork
2) Your name, address, email, phone
3) A few paragraphs about yourself, the artwork submitted, and a brief background on why you chose this piece. This may be featured in the catalogue.
4) Please email your entries directly to email@example.com no later than tomorrow, Thursday, April 11th by 5 p.m.
Peninsula Arts Council, along with guest judges, will review all entries by Friday, April 12th and notify the three artists who will continue on to the final special viewing reception.
The selected artists will be asked to make arrangements to transport their piece of art to the Peninsula Museum of Art (1777 California Drive, Burlingame, CA) no later than Thursday, April 18th at 5 pm. Please contact Ms. Ruth Waters at the Museum to schedule an appointment (650-692-2133).
The selected artists and Peninsula Arts Council members and friends are invited to attend the special viewing reception where additional participating works of art from District 13 will be featured and Senator Hill will announce District 13’s artist of the year. The reception will take place in the main lobby and gallery of the new Peninsula Museum of Art on Friday, April 19th at 3:30 p.m.
About the Senate’s Art Collection:
• Collection pieces are displayed in the Maddy Lounge and Cox Clubhouse in the State Capitol and are adjacent to the Senate floor, viewable and accessible to members of the Senate, and within the protection of the Senate Sergeant-At-Arms
• Collection pieces will be covered by the Senate’s insurance policy
• Rooms are maintained at regular temperature and lighting. Temperature does not fluctuate too much throughout the day.
• Senate Curator is responsible for unpacking, installing, and repacking
• Senate will pay for shipping, but not shipping materials (materials are saved for repackaging purposes)
For questions, please contact Peninsula Arts Council at (650) 591-2101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to attend the reception, please RSVP to email@example.com by Friday, April 12th and we will submit your reservation to Senator Hill’s coordinators and see you there!
We look forward to your participation and wish you the best of luck!
Julie Fellers | President
Peninsula Arts Council
Connecting the Arts in San Mateo County!
751 Laurel Street, #421 | San Carlos, CA 94070
Tel. (650) 591-2101 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook or join our mailing list at www.peninsulaartscouncil.org